Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Two Thousand Ten

Well, it's happened.
The old year ended. A new one began.
(Somehow this always takes me by surprise. "Whaaat?! It's January again?")
How did that happen so fast? Where did 2010 go? What's going to happen this next year?
I have one whole year to play with. A brand new, fresh, lovely 365 days to make whatever I want out of myself and my life. How fun.
But what happened last year? What did I accomplish? What did I do?

I spent a lot of time in my dark place. Wallowing in my self pity. Feeling oh-so-sorry for myself. Goal for 2011: No more of that, please. (Thank you.)
Friends came and went. New, old, funny, irritating beyond belief, fake, accidental, unexpected. I argued with some. Laughed with more. Cried on some shoulders (and been cried on). Helped a few. Lied for others. A fair few stuck with me through the seasons, for which I will be eternally grateful. Others disappeared into the void we call "life". That's okay, though. Goal for 2011: Remain loyal, true, and honest.
I got a job. Kind of a big deal, folks. A real job. A place where I can grow and laugh and learn. I love my job and everyone there. (That part is the "big deal" part.) Goal for 2011: Keep it. Impress everyone with my awesomeness. Maybe they'll decide to like me.
I moved out. I am no longer under my mother's wing (still not sure how I feel about that). My 3 roommates are just lovely and I adore them. They make my life better on a daily basis. Goal for 2011: Make their lives as great as they've made mine.
And school started. (Finally, yes, I know. School.) First semester ended quite nicely. I have high hopes for next semester. Goal for 2011: Straight As, baby.
My dear older brother returned with honor. Hooray! He isn't nearly as weird as I was expecting, though he is set on finding himself a little wifey sometime soon. Careful, ladies, he's on the prowl. Goal for 2011: Let him get married first. Seeing as I'm more in love with myself than the idea of marriage and companionship, this won't be too difficult. I hope. If not, the fake ring on my finger will ward off any eligible bachelors.
Thanks to the lovely lemonade diet, I got down to my goal weight. Thanks to lovely cookies, cakes, ice creams, and Skittles, I gained everything back. Goal for 2011: Just stay at my healthy weight. Thank you, Planet Fitness (and the amazing tanning beds).
I've finally let some things go. Goodbye and good riddance. Goal for 2011: Don't let it back.
I spent more time straightening my hair than I did at church. Goals for 2011: Embrace the princess curls. And go back to church. Yes, the singles ward is bad. But isn't Hell worse?
My piano sat forgotten and cold for the better part of the year. My poor hands can barely remember the tunes I once played with my eyes closed. Goal for 2011: practice, practice, practice! I'll get it back. Just you wait.
I gave up on love this year. I decided love didn't exist and I let my heart disappear into a dark, infinite abyss. Goal for 2011: Find my heart. Love or no love, I do have a heart. I am not some soulless robot.
Last, but not least, I lost and found myself. I searched and searched. And then...poof!...There I was. Just waiting to be discovered. And I love every bit and piece and thought and feeling. I found me, and I'm perfectly happy with that person. Goal for 2011: Stay me. Never lose me again.

The end.
(...or the beginning?)

3 comments:

Alisha Stamper said...

I liked reading your resolutions.

Unknown said...

Bonnie! You are such a deep thinker/philosopher, with a very engaging writing style. And yes, that coming from an English major. :) Love you. Keep climbing to new heights.

Unknown said...

Bonnie! You are such a deep thinker/philosopher--I'm so glad I discovered your blog! I am so impressed with your resolutions. Love you!