Thursday, January 13, 2011

"The City"

I feel so city-girl-ish and all.

I can smell the inversion as soon as I step out of my little apartment (complete with wi-fi and a washing machine). Inhale that smog. Deep breaths.

This morning I stopped at the bank and they recognized me. (I still had to show them my I.D., though.)

On my way to work I bought a bagel and some hot chocolate (with some hazelnut flavoring) from a local cafe-thingy. The guy gave me extra whipped cream and decorated the top with chocolate syrup, jus' because I'm cute and all smiley. I gave him a dollar tip even though I spent less than five.

The taco-stand guys know me and speak to me (in Spanish) on a regular basis. "Quieres cebollas?" Yes, please and thank you.

I show up to work in a skirt and sit at a desk. I leave at five. I park in a multi-level parking garage even though I only live a few blocks away. I take the train to work.

Honestly, compared to most "big cities", this one is rather puny.

But I love it. So much.

No comments: