Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Favorite 12-Year-Old. Ever.

I have a younger brother. He is 12. We'll call him "C" (just because).

C and I are rather weird. There's no getting around that. We make stupid faces at each other during dinner (and breakfast...and lunch...heck, we just make stupid faces all the time). We laugh at the most ridiculous things. We make fun of crazies on the sidewalk. We crack up when someone passes gas or talks about any other bodily parts, fluids, or functions. We mock movies. Yes, we're immature. He's 12, though, so it's okay. (I unfortunately don't have the happy excuse of being young.)
Tonight we continued the tradition of harassing D (our 9-year-old brother) in his sleep. Last time we got him to ramble about some crazy ponies and hamsters or something.
We slowly crept up to D, peeking over the rail of the top bunk. C decided to switch out D's stuffed elephant for a small football. He slowly threaded the football into D's embrace while carefully maneuvering the elephant out. I held my breath. D didn't notice the change, and snuggled closer to the leather ball.
Looking at the old elephant, I had a wonderful idea. I snatched it away from C and grabbed a few more stuffed animals from the foot of the bed. C caught on quickly, and soon we had all the animals in a line, "staring" at D.
"Just wait'll he wakes up to this!" I whispered. We giggled loudly at the thought until D squirmed at the sound. C dropped onto his stomach on the floor. I followed. We sat there for a few seconds until we were sure D was still soundly sleeping.
C and I cracked up again and proceeded to act Kronk from The Emperor's New Groove (which just happens to be one of the best movies - ever) doing his little spy dance. After a full minute of that, we fell over laughing again and ended up making more stupid faces.
Gosh, I love that kid.
Yes, we do fight and argue. A lot. And I'm pretty sure he's secretly plotting his revenge on me for being the big bully of a sister I've been. But I'm hoping that the little moments like this will convince him to show some mercy. He's a great kid. I'm the luckiest big sister alive.

No comments: