Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Cleaning the Windows of the Soul

This is what I see from my desk. It's absolutely incredible. (Except, to be honest, I'm on the opposite side of the temple.) Lately, however, the windows have been getting dirty and dusty and finger-printed, making it more and more difficult to appreciate the beauty of this majestic temple. It got to the point to where I just really didn't want to even look out the window because of all the blemishes on the glass. It was distracting from the beauty.
Luckily for me (and everyone else in my building, really) Salt Lake likes to be a clean city, and today the window-washing crew was sent to clean all of our windows.
As I sat and watched the workers wipe the glass, I started to think about how it relates to repentance. We sin, we make mistakes, and eventually we don't even want to look at or think about our problems. We want to turn elsewhere so we don't have to think about how dirty our view has become. Yet with a little (or a lot of) work and some "soap" (i.e., the atonement), we're able to clean up and have a fresh view of our ultimate goal: the temple, eternal families and happiness, and everlasting celestial glory.
That, my friends, shows just how much our Father loves us. He gives us the opportunity to make things right in our lives so we can reach that goal. It's not an impossible ambition, and it's the only truly worthwhile ambition to have. If we constantly wipe away the dirt and grime that builds up so quickly we will eventually get there. I know it.

It also helps if you listen to MoTab for 6 hours a day. Really.

1 comment:

Brandon said...

So right. Oh Bonnie, wish I were as righteous as you.