Monday, May 10, 2010

One Year Older and Wiser, Too.

This is my year.
I am officially two decades old. Twenty years. This is a big deal (to me, anyway).
My parents are constantly telling me things like, "Take every opportunity to enjoy yourself," "Life's too short to be unhappy," and "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."
Why don't I listen to them? This is my year. I'll gain some wisdom and start following their advice.
I'm going to wear my hair curly. I'm going to go to concerts by myself, and dance like a crazy person. I'm going to paint my toenails. I'm going to run until I pass out. I'm going to laugh at nothing. I'm going to stay up late reading a good book, just because I can. I'm going to learn how to do new things; cook and bake, decorate, paint, sew. I want to make a quilt. I want to crochet. I want to learn how to change the oil in a car and replace a clutch.
I might even try sky diving. I'm going to talk to strangers. Get out of my comfort zone. Out of my shell. I'm going to watch movies and listen to music. I'm going to discover who I am again. It seems I've forgotten.
I'm a year older, and determined to be wiser. No more sitting back and watching my life pass me by. No more being afraid. No more looking back. Look ahead, I'll tell me. Don't look at the past. Do reminisce. Do learn from mistakes. But don't regret. I've spent too much time regretting and wondering, "What if?"
Life is too short for that. I don't have time to wonder. I only have time to live and learn. Laugh and love. Be crazy. Be silly. Dream. Think. See. Do.
This is MY year.

No comments: