Saturday, May 8, 2010

A New Hobby

I've been in a cooking mood lately. Wontons, tortellini, tomato soup... I've been to the grocery store at least 4 times this week. My hotmail inbox is filled with recipes I've looked up and sent myself. Fortunately, everything has been a success.
Except my tomato soup. I used organic tomato juice, heavy cream, and some spices. I forgot that usually tomato soup is sweetened. Whoops. It was beautiful, too. A lovely little bowl of tomato soup (complete with a chunk of cheese melting at the bottom) sitting next to a lovely little grilled cheese sandwich. I picked up my spoon and took a sip of soup. Nasty. I ended up dumping it all down the drain. Later it occurred to me that I could've added some honey or something and it probably would've been fine. Slow brain.
Tonight was a success, though. I bought some wonton wrappers, bok choy, mushrooms, and carrots. I carefully chopped up the vegetables and loaded them into the wrappers, closing them up tight. They steamed for about 25-30 minutes. And they...were...bee-yootiful! I probably should've steamed 'em a little longer, but I got too excited. I set them in a little dish and poured some soy sauce over them. Dee-licious. Oh man. I'm going to have to experiment with those. I wonder what else I could put in them? I've had them with ground turkey, but lately I've been leaning away from the meats. If you have any ideas, please let me know. The checker at Smith's suggested cream cheese and crab meat. And I'm thinking, "Uh, ew, gag me, please." Yeah. No.
My next adventure will be tomorrow night - vegetarian stir fry. Tofu, snow peas, carrots, onions, peppers, etc. I'm excited and terrified all at the same time! I certainly hope it turns out. Stay tuned.
Aaand yeah.
That is all.

1 comment:

Alisha Stamper said...

sorry to be the bearer of bad news-- (or good?) but cream cheese and crab wontons are DELICIOUS. for REAL.