Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Note.

Once upon a time I went on a date. And then another. And another. And another. All these dates certainly were with very different boys (I use the word "boys," although they were all over the age of 22), however they all had a similar fault: each failed to walk me from the car, to the front door.
This might not seem such a big deal to some, but to me it's a major issue. Has common courtesy and gentlemanly behavior ceased to be an important and necessary characteristic in men? Is it now acceptable to overlook substandard dating etiquette? Are there any men left that are actually aware of the little unwritten rules of dating? I certainly haven't found any in quite a long time. I am astonished at the behavior of some of the returned missionary, college student "men" out there, and I'm even more shocked that they even need a reminder of how to treat a girl on a date. Especially a first date. I believe there is a standard that is not being met.
Whether the date is casual between friends or more serious, certain actions will score major brownie points with the girls. Ready for your refresher course, men?
Walk your woman to the door. Don't drop her off at the curb. Don't leave her at the Trax station (especially at midnight in the middle of a big city). Show some respect. Take her to the front door and make sure she's safely inside before taking off. Failing to do so shows a complete lack of concern for her feelings and safety. I've officially made a personal rule that if a guy won't walk me to my door, he won't get a second date. Enough is enough.
Make the effort to talk to your date. A first date is awkward enough. Don't make it even more uncomfortable by forcing us to sit in silence. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck squirming in my seat because the one-word answers to my desperate attempts at conversation wouldn't stop. Don't put yourselves (and us) through that. Speak!
Another huge concern is the dreaded appearance of your ex-girlfriend. Ready for this? If she shows up, it's probably best to avoid sulking in a dark corner with her while the rest of the group runs around playing laser tag. That is guaranteed to not score you another date. And we'll probably be less than civil towards you if we catch a glimpse of you two in that secluded corner.
Yet another point: let us know what you're planning ahead of time. If it's a "surprise," at least let us know some of the details. We wouldn't want to show up for a hike dressed in a skirt or sandals. Be reasonable.
These are just a few of the simple guidelines that guys should already be aware of. Yes, it seems like a lot. Girls have rules, too. We just tend to remember them. Be a man. Men who have been dating for years shouldn't need to be reminded of these little rules. It's rather distressing to me that guys in their 20s are still having problems with this. Step it up a little. Earn some points in our book. We'll appreciate your assiduity and in return we'll be more inclined to like you. A little respect and courtesy goes a long way.
That is all.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh man. Boys these days are so clueless. I am glad that you are sticking to your guns and keeping your expecatations HIGH! They need to treat your RIGHT! Oh, I am SOOOOOO glad I'm not in the dating scene... lol

Bee said...

Yeah, Ashley, I'm pretty jealous that you don't have to deal with this junk anymore!!