Friday, February 12, 2010

The Time Machine

I think there comes a time in everyone's life (at least once) when we wish we owned a time machine. Or that one existed. Or something. We make mistakes that effect our future so subtly and yet so tremendously. We wish we could change it all for the best. Certain recent events have definitely left me wishing for a time machine.
If I could go back, how far would I go? One week? A month? Six? A year? Two years? What would I change? That, my friends, is the million dollar question. Yet I know that if I changed just one small thing, just made one different decision at any time, my life would be too different. I wouldn't have the same people in my life. I would live in a different place. I wouldn't be me.
I suppose the solution is to live in such a way that in the future we won't want to look back and regret things. Life happens. We are constantly faced with choices, but we have no idea how, or if, they will influence our future. There will always be times when I will wish I'd said or done something different. I guess I just have to realize the fact that there is no going back. We can't dwell on these regrets. We have to keep moving on and learning from the past. Our decisions and choices make us who we are. Would I trade that? Would I trade me, myself, my personality, to change my past? Not for the world.
I know I've definitely made some bad calls in the past. At times I have wished more than anything to have a time machine so I can fix it. Unfortunately, to dwell on these mistakes would consume me. I can't let that happen to me. We need to accept what has happened and know it happened for a reason. My mistakes make me Bonnie. No one else on the earth has made the exact same mistakes that I have. I'm the only me out there.
So I believe it's time for me (and everyone) to give up on our plans and throw away those blueprints for that time machine. Time for us to face the future. It's the only way we can be happy with ourselves and our lives. Why waste our precious time wishing for something that will never happen?
Don't look back. Don't regret. Just live.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Yay! Welcome to the blogging world! So true. We can't live in the past. All we can do is learn from our mistakes and move on. Try our best to do better :)