Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Oh, you little BYU folks

"So. You single?" he leaned over the desk seductively.
"Ah, no, actually," I replied. "I'm not."
He glanced quickly at my left hand resting on the keyboard, attempting to be discreet but making it totally obvious.
"I don't see a ring," he accused.
I rolled my eyes and sighed. "That doesn't mean I'm available," Just stop, please. Can't you tell I'm not interested?
"Oh. Are you just waiting for it, then?" He leaned closer. I could see the the gel clumped in his stiff hair.
"No," I huffed, trying hard to not look annoyed. "I'm just not single." I turned my attention back to my computer.
He paused for a second, debating on whether to keep prying.
He did.
"So, when will you get it?" He smirked.
I gaped at him, my mouth hanging open. This kid was unbelievable. Before I could answer, the elevator door opened.
"Your ride is here." I stood and gestured towards the doors.
"Can I get your number? You know, just in case?" He said the last three words in a sing-song voice as he backed into the elevator. The confident yet hopeful smile he flashed was almost too much.
My irritation flared and I took a deep breath to cool it off. I watched him as the elevator doors closed slowly. With one eyebrow raised and my arms folded I answered, smiling icily, "No. Thank you."

He asked again when he left.
I pretended to be caught up on the phone.

What is it with those crazed BYU RMs?

And I had Hagermann's for lunch. Just thought you should know that.

3 comments:

Snoopy said...

Hey! unfair stereotyping going on here... the large majority of the guys in the three student wards I've been in won't even ask the girls out. Actually about 57% of guys and 61% of girls at BYU graduate single. (that was in my career explorations textbook - go figure). It's the very obnoxious vocal minority that gives the rest of us a bad name. :D

Adriane Reynolds said...

This is so awesome... it really made me laugh! (: These hopeless men... But you are Beautiful... so, they just can't help it.

TheSinglesWard said...

We praise the gentleman's thorough pursuit. You claim that you were annoyed or whatever, but the fact still remains that until there is a ring you're not "taken".

We applaud him.