Thursday, March 24, 2011

Is Chivalry Dead?

I was walking out of the store, cradling my drink and trying to keep from spilling it as I shoved my wallet back into my purse.
A group of siblings had just reached the entrance as I opened the first set of doors. Their mother trailed a few feet behind. I held the heavy door open so the kids wouldn't have to struggle with it.
Four little girls skipped in ahead of their brother - he couldn't have been older than five. The little boy politely held the outer door open for his mother. He smiled up at her earnestly as she thanked him. I held the other door open for him, expecting him to hurry through behind his mom.
He waited. I waited.
I looked at him. He looked at me.
For a few seconds we both stood there, still holding the doors for each other.
"Go ahead," I encouraged. "It's okay--"
He cut me off with a shake of his head and a shy smile.
"Nope," he said, opening the door a little wider.
He was determined.
I grinned, unable to hide my pride and delight in the little gentleman. This child was actually going to hold the door for me. Already a sweet gentleman at such a young age.

I thanked him on my way out. He gave me a high five.

Here's to the hardworking moms who teach their sons kindness, respect, and courtesy.
To the sons who listen.
To the daughters who are grateful.
And to the little stranger who reminded me:
Chivalry is most definitely not dead.

Don't worry, little ladies.
The future is looking pretty bright.

2 comments:

collegechick17 said...

Oh my heavens this is amazing!! What a sweet little boy =]

Beautiful_Disaster ♫ said...

This is so presh!